Its that time that we are all thinking about goals and resolutions. All the things we say we want to get better at and we do for about a month and then we slip back into our usual ways and say, maybe next year. So, I'm not pledging to get that pesky 10 pounds off. I've been trying for about two years. Each time I lose 5 of it, I get excited then I go back to my ways and I gain it back. Maybe next time. ;o)
But, this year I'm starting January 1st as an author. I'm no longer just a mom and housewife. So I thought, maybe I need some goals for the year. Things I want to improve on.
1. Quit checking my dang amazon rank so much. I must admit, I've gotten better with the release to Fool Me Once. When Amber's Muse released, I checked it hourly almost. I try to limit myself to once a day now, but I sometimes find myself there twice. I want to eliminate that need. I'm an author, not a rank watcher. At that, I'm a brand new author. I need to be concentrating on my writing, not that pesky number.
2. And since we are talking about amazon ranks, I'm no longer going to check other books to see where they are compared to mine. I find I get unwanted feelings each time I do it, so I'm stopping. Perhaps amazon should just get rid of that crazy number.
3. Promote my fellow authors more. I try to be my best at this, but sometimes a day goes by and I releaize I haven't shared the love. So, I'm making a point to do this more! Especially on my facebook page. I often use it only for myself.
4. And lastly, work on my word count. I write novellas mainly. They are typically 18,000-20,000. I set out to write a full-length recently for a new series, and I only got to 30,000 before it was over. But, that was an improvement. I already have a higher word count goal on book 3 in the Hot Bods series.
So, here is to 2012. It will be here once I open my eyes tomorrow morning. I wish you the absolute best year at achieving your goals. Happy New Year!
Today I have Cassandra Carr on the blog and she has a hot book out right now called Caught. Its a BDSM romance. I just finished it and man, it was hot. Don't miss out on this one.
How to Write a Sex Scene with Life by Cassandra Carr
When you read a sex scene, do you ever think to yourself – how did that writer bring that sex scene to life? If you’re squirming in your seat or feeling the urge to fan your face, the writer has probably made the sex scene leap off the page (whoa, there’s a visual!). So how do we do it? Well, first of all, writing sex scenes involves much more than insert tab A into slot B, and if your sex scenes read like that you’ll soon have your reader either throwing the book across the room or falling asleep.
Take this example:
He pulled her panties off and then spread her legs.
Not very titillating, right? Now let’s try this:
Trailing the pads of his fingers up the sleek muscles in her thighs, he reached for the waistband of her navy silk panties. He started to pull ever so slowly, working the material over her hips and now her legs, reveling in the vision he was uncovering with every downward inch of the material. The scent of her arousal wafted to his nose.
Now, yes, I used more words in general in the second example, but what else did I do? I added senses – he’s feeling the sleek muscles, he’s seeing her body revealed, he’s smelling her unique scent. I also added details – what color panties she’s wearing, where his fingers are, etc.
It’s this “layering” – the adding of senses and details that really make a sex scene come alive. So the next time you read a great scene, ask yourself – how did the author weave this story so effortlessly and how long did it take her to make it sound effortless?
About The Author:
Cassandra Carr is a multi-published erotic romance writer who lives in Western New York with her husband, Inspiration, and her daughter, Too Cute for Words. When not writing she enjoys watching hockey and hanging out on Twitter. Her debut novel, Talk to Me, was released by Loose Id on March 22, 2011. Head Games, Buffalo Intimidators book 1, released on November 2, 2011 from Siren Bookstrand. Caught released December 6, 2011 from Loose Id, and Impact is coming in early 2012 from Ellora's Cave. For more information about Cassandra, check out her website at http://www.booksbycassandracarr.com, "like" her Facebook fan page at http://www.facebook.com/AuthorCassandraCarr or follow her on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/Cassandra_Carr.
BUYING INFORMATION: http://www.booksbycassandracarr.com
Please click the read more for and excerpt to Caught
1. Tell us a little about yourself Ella Jade.
I'm a SAHM to two active boys who keep me really busy. Now that they're in school full-time I'm able to devote my days to writing. Its something I've wanted to do for a long time. The stories have always played out in my head but I never knew what to do with them. That all changed when I discovered the eBooks industry. I live in NJ with my husband and kids. When I'm not writing I like to scrapbook, kick box and spend time with my family.
2. What genre or genres do you write?
Mostly Contemporary Romance.
3. Your newest release Embracing The Unexpected just released yesterday, tell us about this book.
I fell in love with the idea of this book. It practically wrote itself. Its a story of two people who find they have a deep emotional connection and very much need one another. Here's the blurb...
Sometimes love can be found where we least expect it.
When Parker Phillips, a successful attorney, has a confrontation with his friend Ava's abusive boyfriend, he finds himself facing assault and battery charges, and he's ordered to attend an anger management course. Parker, who has never been attracted to a man, is drawn to Dr. Jace Cross, the psychiatrist leading the class. But how can that be, since Parker is straight?
Jace accepted the fact that he was gay many years ago, and he's comfortable in his sexuality, but he's been single for some time now. He throws himself into his work to fill the lonely void.
Although sparks fly whenever they're together, Parker's reluctant to embrace these feelings he has for another man.
Can the sexy doctor help him discover who he truly is?
4. This is your first M/M book. What part of the book was the easiest to write and what parts were the hardest.
The love story was the easiest part to write. These characters felt very deeply for one another so giving them their HEA was easy.The hardest part... blushes... the intimate scenes. I almost didn't write the book because I wasn't sure I could write m/m. Once I started writing it all seemed to work itself out.
5. What does your husband think about you M/M story?
He doesn't get it. lol But I have a feeling he'd get it if I wrote an F/F.
6. As you have mentioned in past posts, you really enjoy writing in the male POV and I must say you do it wonderfully. Can reader's expect more of this genre from you?
Thanks! I do enjoy writing from the male perspective. I like being able to make the guys do and think what I want. lol I am working on a new m/m and hope to have it completed in January.
7. What is a must have to eat or drink while you write?
I like to have a Starbucks Iced Tea while I write. I usually put my last one of the bus in the morning and then head to Starbucks before starting my writing routine.
8. A holiday tradition you and your family have.
We have many, but one of our faves is decorating the tree, lighting a fire and watching Elf.
9. If you had to choose one, which book that you've written is a favorite of yours?
I love them all, but Embracing the Unexpected has a strong lead. I simply adore Jace and Parker.
10. Is there anything else you would like to share today?
I would just like to say thanks for having me and I look forward connecting with you all. Come see what I'm up to at ellajadeauthor.blogspot.com. Happy Holidays.
Buy Links: Amazon / Nook / Beachwalk Press / AllRomance
Oh happy release day! Fool Me Once is now available for purchase!
Congrats to EveP! You've won a copy of Amber's Muse! I will be emailing you shortly. I hope you enjoy it.
Thank you to everyone who entered. I hope everyone found something good to stuff their stockings with.
Welcome! I'm happy you have stopped by. Today I have six sentences from my newest novella Fool Me Once, which is the first book in my Hot Bods series. It officially releases on the 19th, but its already on Amazon.
A quick background before this six. Drew has just stopped by unexpectedly at Skylar's apartment, and she just happens to be getting out of the shower and she is only dressed in a towel.
"Just sit, I'll even move all the way over." Drew scooted to the very end of the couch. "See, I can't even reach you." When she didn't sit, he added, "I think maybe you're worried that you can't behave yourself around me."
The heat rose in Skylar's cheeks. How dare he think she couldn't control herself?
To see more great authors and their six sentences, visit www.sixsunday.com
Buy links: Amazon / Nook
Welcome! I'm Lacey Wolfe and I'm a romance author. As part of the blog hop I'm offering the winner a choice of my debut novella Amber's Muse or my novella that is being released on December 19, Fool Me Once. Simply leave a comment for your chance to win. Please let me know which you'd prefer in your comment and include your email.
To see the other's who are participating click the picture or HERE
Thanks for hopping by!
Books By Series
I promise not to spam you. You'll hear from me when new books release or if I'm having a kick butt sale!
Join The Fun
I want to connect with you!
Be part of The Wolfe Pack and join Lacey Wolfe's Reader Group on Facebook
Site Copyright 2011-2018 of Lacey Wolfe